That's my Top 5 Books of 2013, my Top 5 Old and New Books that I'm looking forward to reading in 2014. Ready?
5 6 Books of 2013
Okay so I couldn't decide between two books by the same author so I added them both. In no particular order:
- Prep School Confidential - Kara Taylor - I thoroughly enjoyed this teen-centered murder mystery following Anne Dowling, trying to fit in to a new school while investigating the sudden death of her room mate. Very interesting and definitely a recommendation for fans of Gossip Girl and shows like that.
- Even in Darkness - Cyndi Tefft - By now you all kind of know about my deep love for Cyndi Tefft but in case you don't...I run her fan site. Of course I loved her third installment of the Between series. It's got hot pirates, true love, and half-naked Scotsmen. That's all you need to know.
- Kaleidoscope and Ember - Mindy Hayes - I flew through the first two books in the Faylinn series fairly quickly. They're about Calliope, a girl who learns she's a fairy and has to deal with all the implications of that. I absolutely adore Mindy Hayes' ability to write prose and create imagery throughout her stories. She's quickly becoming a favourite author of mine.
- Homecoming - Cecilia Robert - This is a simple and sweet short story as part of the Cloaked Devices series. Three words to describe it?: Magical, Spicy, Strong. It does have a "Mature" warning for a reason but it's worth it to indulge.
- The Silent Swan - Lex Keating - I think this was the surprise favourite of 2013. I'm not really a fan of contemporary romance and this one definitely snuck up on me. It is a romance but it has very strong, heavy family themes so if you're looking for a high stakes, teen romance, this is my recommendation.
My Top 5 Old Books for 2014
When I say "Old" I just mean published before 2014. These are just some books that I'm looking forward to crossing off my list:
- Deadly Heat (Nikki Heat #5) - Richard Castle - This is the fifth book in the Nikki Heat Series, following an NYPD Detective and her Writer Boyfriend. The goal is to get this book read before the sixth one comes out later this year but we'll see what happens.
- Kiss Her, Kill Her - Lisa Dewar - I bought this on a whim because it was written by a local author and the back of the book looked interesting so I'll let you know how this serial killer tale turns out.
- The Countess - Rebecca Johns - The Countess follows the life of Countess Erzsébet Báthory, said to be the World's Worst Female Serial Killer, in a diary-style tale. The rumor surrounding this woman's life are horrid and gruesome so I can only hope that the fictional account of her life will be just as good.
- Fracture - Virginia McKevitt - It's got a hot guy on the cover. Oh and it's gotten great reviews and the plot looks interesting. Sorry, I got distracted there. I hope that doesn't happen while I'm actually trying to read.
- Sentient (Mentalist #2) - Kenechi Udogu - Aversion (Book One) was one of the very first books I ever read and reviewed for Writer of Wrongs so this series will always hold a very special place in my heart.
Top 5 New Books of 2014
And these are the books that will be published in 2014 that I'm looking forward to reading as soon as possible:
- Luminary (Faylinn #3) - Mindy Hayes - I am extremely excited for the third book in the Faylinn series to be released later this year. There's still time to catch up on the first two books, I promise.
- Between #4 - Cyndi Tefft - There aren't many details about the release (or even the title) of the fourth and final book in the Between Series but I'm very optimistic.
- Cress (Lunar Chronicles #3) - Marissa Meyer - I am not caught up in the series and I probably should re-read the first book before I read the second which will hopefully coincide with me getting my hands on the third book.
- White Hot Kiss - Jennifer L. Armstrong - This one jumped out at me on Goodreads as one of the anticipated books of 2014. Just read the description, of course I'm going to read it.
- Wicked Little Secrets (Prep School Confidential #2) - Kara Taylor - This is the second book in the PSC Series which I look forward to reading just to find out what happens next and to see how many twists Kara Taylor can write into one chapter.