Wednesday 11 May 2016

Your Mid-Week Update for 05/11/16

So, Heather. You remember a few weeks ago she was distant and clumsy? I got distracted by Kyle the intern – who is still subdued after the horrific death of his second cousin – but I didn’t forget Heather spilling coffee on my desk, soaking a freshly signed contract. She finally opened up about what's been going on. That's an awkward story in itself.

The most obnoxiously loud and opinionated woman I’ve ever met, besides my mother, knocked on my door Friday afternoon. An hour before end of day, Heather quietly asked if we had time to talk and normally I would blow her off and tell her to get back to work but honestly, I was bored. I’d been watching YouTube videos for the last hour while avoiding my never ending pile of emails. The one thing they don’t tell you about going on vacation when you’re in a position of semi-power is the amount of emails and voicemails you have to wade through in the weeks following said vacation. Kill me now.

So when Heather walked in, I was eager for the distraction and promptly invited her in. What worried me about her distraction was that she asked to come in. She knocked and asked and actually seemed to care about my answer. This is the woman who will knock as a courtesy and barge in regardless of my opinion. Apparently she really needed someone to talk to. I refuse to believe I am this woman’s only close friend because that’s just…sad.

Her husband is actually going through with the divorce. That’s what she wanted to talk about. It’s a big deal. Even I know that. I remember it must have been two years ago, her husband showed up at work and threatened her for having an affair. I never heard about it again which means he forgave her. When he caught her again a few months ago, I assumed that it would blow over but apparently she got the papers last month and he made her sign them. It's official, Heather is divorced and has no idea what to do with herself. She gave me this whole speech about loving her husband but having a really bad habit that she could never shake. Apparently she’s cheated on him more than the two times I know about.

She calls extramarital affairs a “bad habit”. I know I’m not one to speak about addiction and destructive habits but really? Actually it’s not so much cheating as it is sex that’s her bad habit which I can understand and sympathize with. I just wish she’d acknowledged it before her marriage fell apart. To have a husband who is willing to forgive her more than once for her bad habit is a rare thing.

I realize suddenly, how much Heather and I have in common. I never thought I’d see the day.

But anyways, Heather and I had a good long chat about the men in our lives and how we’re going to get her through this divorce.

I think I agreed to get drinks with her on Friday. I’m still trying to wrap my head around that.

I did feel bad for Heather – I do feel bad for Heather – and the situation she got herself into so I killed a married man on the way home. My little contribution to making her feel better. That and I agreed to get drinks with her on Friday. Seriously, what? Just because I sympathize with the woman does not mean I need to spend any more time with her than necessary.

No way will I allow myself to like this woman socially.

As always, dear readers,


Stay Safe

No comments:

Post a Comment