Wednesday 15 November 2017

Your Mid-Week Update for 11/15/17

Somehow, it’s the Christmas season in the middle of November and I find myself not minding that much. As you all know, I have a rather complicated relationship with Christmas. I love the snow and the unrelenting optimism and friendliness of unsuspecting victims; but on the other hand: my family drains the life from me with every phone call and unexpected visit and eventually that unrelenting optimism becomes an elusive cynicism that is impossible to manage.

As usual, the moment Halloween was over – and even a little bit before – all the Christmas decorations came out and the holiday music started playing. It must be so odd as a musician to write and record Christmas music months and months in advance. I don’t actually know how long it takes to produce an album but I imagine Michael BublĂ© in his recording studio on the Fourth of July singing about decking the halls.

How did that man establish himself as a staple of the holiday season? You have Butter-whatever Turkey, Oceanview Cranberries, and Michael Bubbles. That and whatever Starbucks is happening – although, confession, I am definitely an Eggnog Latte with extra chocolate sprinkles (in case any of you were wondering) – seems to define the modern Western Christmas.

I won’t go off into a tangent about the rampant consumerism of our contemporary culture – mostly because those are college essay words and I am beyond that. And frankly I don’t care that our society has become obsessed with itself. It makes my job easier.

I know that life is not all about death but it’s something I’ve passionate about. If I could get paid for it, I would – although we’ve already established that assassination does not allow for nearly enough creativity or freedom. Maybe I should find another hobby as well. Just to balance things out. Any suggestions?

In any case; I’m feeling quite calm and content right now. I might actually be looking forward to the holidays this year. Of course, my mother hasn’t called yet. We’ll see if the two of us can get through the holiday season without incident.

I doubt it. What fun would that be? I don’t know if that sentence was grammatically correct. Any English majors in my reader-base?

As always, dear readers,


Stay Safe

No comments:

Post a Comment