Monday 22 February 2016

Review of Underworld's Daughter

In preparation for the release of Immortal’s Spring (the third book in Molly Ringle’s fantastic Chrysomelia series) I read book two in the series: Underworld’s Daughter. You can read my review of book one here.

Underworld's Daughter (The Chrysomelia Stories, #2)New immortals are being created for the first time in thousands of years thanks to the tree of immortality discovered by Persephone and Hades. But Sophie Darrow is not one of them. Nikolaos, the trickster, has given the last ripe immortality fruit to two others, the reincarnations of the gods Dionysos and Hekate: Tabitha and Zoe, currently Sophie's and Adrian's best friends.

While the disappointed Sophie struggles to remember Hekate and Dionysos from ancient Greece, she must still face her daily life as a mortal university freshman. Tabitha and Zoe have their own struggles as they come to terms with being newly immortal and their own haunting dreams of past lives and loves. The evil committed by Thanatos invades all of them in heartbreaking memories, and worse still, Sophie and her friends know their enemies are determined to kill again. And even the gods can't save everyone.





When you read a series that is so heavily drenched in one historic or mythological element, you can end up with one of two stories: you either feel like you’re reading a textbook, or the plot has nothing to do with the culture. I am always pleasantly surprised by Molly Ringle’s writing. This particular series is centred around Greek Mythology and the immortals who dotted their stories; and it’s never a dull moment. The story jumps back and forth between present day and ancient times and they always link back together in some unexpected ways.

In addition to awakening Sophie, our protagonist, we’re introduced to new gods who only add to the drama and excitement. More than that, we get to interact with the characters we’ve come to know and love in sexier and darker ways. I am particularly fond of Hekate and her transformation from rambunctious child to powerful witch. Although I haven’t teared up so much as I have reading her story. It is an emotional journey to be reckoned with.

Not to say I wasn’t torn apart by other characters. Persephone and Hades’ story always brings me such joy. It’s alarmingly passionate and loving to the point of madness. Oh, when they went…ugh. I can’t even talk about it. Don’t worry: you’ll kind of see it coming and it’ll still break your heart.

I ship Niko and Zoe so much it’s not even fair. I won’t say anything but let’s just say I was a puddle after one of his scenes.

The whole story is compelling because so much of it is a love story that has elements of fate and drama. And the rest of it is a thriller about a terrorist organization who resorts to extreme violence and death-defying measures to get their message across. I promise, you won’t want to put the book down.

It helps that it’s paired with some colourful and dynamic words strung together in just a beautiful story. The author’s words bring this world to life with specific imagery and word choice; a very well-crafted tale.

I think my Random Notes While Reading speak for themselves:
  • Secrets seem to be the trademark of these immortals
  • How are you surprised by Niko’s actions?
  • I know how you could make it up to her
  • Surprise!!
  • “Olfactory inspector” I love that
  • Oh. Cool. Just casually throw that out there
  • “The cold rope of dread”: I line I’m still thinking about. It’s that powerful
  • He’s…conscious…right? I don’t know what the protocol is here
  • I would absolutely use my immortal powers like that
  • I love the concept of sexuality in this world
  • Dude!
  • At least she cleaned up after herself
  • Oh gods, I can’t stop giggling
  • That is actually incredibly sweet
  • Persephone seems so much older in this book. Fascinating
  • Huh. Also, very clever. Well researched
  •  I do appreciate that Aphrodite is always unapologetically herself
  • So it’s exactly like your favourite character dying – they come back
  • Aw. That’s hot
  •  Oh boy, my heart was not ready for that
  • Come one, Tabitha, you let me down
  •  WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT!!!
  •  No. No. No.


Sophie and her family’s story is incredibly engaging; so much so that I am running out of adverbs to describe how satisfied I am with the direction this tale is going. I look forward to reading the next chapter in the lives of these gods and I highly recommend that you read the first book: Persephone’s Orchard.

No comments:

Post a Comment