Friday 31 October 2014

Rule Book: A Guide

There are rules for everything. Rituals for enduring the world. Disobeying yields serious consequences. And there is nothing more superstitious than death and the supernatural.

Death is not to be toyed with – neither is the unexplained magic in the world. She has rules and if you break even one of her rules, I cannot be held accountable. During Samhain, the veil between the worlds is so thin that death herself can step from the spirit realm and stalk the streets.

These are just a few of her rules:

·         Don't walk alone at night
·         Don't answer the door if you don’t know who’s there
·         Don't split up when you’re in a group
·         Arm yourself with a weapon – any weapon
·         Don't hesitate for even a moment
·         Don’t be curious
·         and
·         Don't. Fall. Asleep.

I cannot stress how important these rules are, especially on All Hallows Eve. That day does not belong to you. It belongs to the spirits and it belongs to death. And she is unforgiving.

Of course there are those rule related to the more recent tradition associated with All Hallows Eve (or Hallowe’en). Trick-or-Treating:

·         Always check your candy – do not presume that the world is fair and kind; it never was
·         Wear a Costume – if you must go out, hide from the spirits and they will hide from you
·         Pass out treats – appease the spirits with gifts
·         Never blow out a Jack-o-lantern – they’re there to protect you, I promise; they guard your soul

And the last is not a rule at all, it’s your only tool for survival:
  • Don’t ever, for even a moment, imagine that you’re alone


Because you’re not. You never are. They’re always with you. Like a shadow – but so much worse. They know everything about you. They’ve been with you since birth. And if you break a rule – especially on Hallowe’en – they’ll take advantage of the opportunity.

There are rules. They’re not many but they’re strict. I’m telling you the rules so that you know. And you can save yourself.

Tell others. But also…

If you get this message, please, know that I'm sorry. I didn't understand. She was protecting me. This place. It's...I didn't know. If you see someone who looks like me, do not interact with her. I know why they put her in the mirror.

My reflection – my shadow, but so much worse.

I’m so sorry.


I didn’t know.

No comments:

Post a Comment